40th Anniversary of the u3a movement 2022
In 2022, u3a will celebrate its 40th anniversary and a number of national events are planned throughout the year. Because there are so many Craft groups, there will be a competition to create an Anniversary quilt as a lasting souvenir of the occasion.
This quilt is envisaged as a Moment in History for future generations of u3as, showing engagement by many members, raising local and national profiles and demonstrating the skills and talents of u3a members to the public. It will encourage recruitment and overall awareness and is intended to form part of the u3a Archive in a permanent repository.
From the blocks submitted by u3a members, 40 will be chosen for the Anniversary quilt. The following rules apply to the creation of the quilt.
u3a Anniversary Quilt competition 2021-2022
The Anniversary Quilt blocks
▪ Each finished block must measure 10×10” and fit within the centre of a square measuring ”12×12” to enable a 1” border around the edge of your design.
▪ Preferred material for the block is PFD calico to accommodate a range of sewing techniques (patchwork, appliqué, embroidery, painting, printing and machine embroidery). Embellishments such as beads or raised objects must not be used as these could be damaged by the long arm quilter when the quilt squares are assembled.
▪ All materials must be sewn on securely.
▪ Your submission must be on the theme of Positive Ageing as demonstrated by the u3a Learn Laugh Live strap-line
▪ Your block must have a title which describes the activity depicted.
▪ Each contributor must send a photograph, a short biography (maximum 200 words) and a brief description of the design of their block.
▪ You will be asked to send your completed block once the competition has closed. Please do not send your completed block at this stage.
Data and copyright for Anniversary quilt
▪ Worldwide copyright for the quilt will remain with the author but all entrants must give permission as the author of the submitted square for the Third Age Trust and Third Age Trust Trading Ltd to hold, process and display the work on their website, social media accounts and in other Trust media e.g Third Age Matters magazine, in relation to this competition. You will always be credited alongside your story, if chosen.
u3a Anniversary Quilt Competition Rules April 2021
▪ The Third Age Trust and Third Age Trust Trading Ltd will have the right to edit and publish the submitted work on their websites, social media accounts, in Third Age Matters and/or in an eBook. ▪ The Third Age Trust may contact you only in relation to your story and your data will not be used for any other purpose.
Eligibility and submission for the 40th Anniversary quilt
▪ The competition is open to current u3a members. For the avoidance of doubt, any entrant must be a member on 15 August 2021 and remain a member until the end of 2021.
▪ Entry is free but limited to one block per member or u3a Interest group.
▪ Entries must be received between 14 August and 15 November 2021.
▪ You must submit your entry via the online form on the Third Age Trust website, which will be open between these times. You can send a photograph of your block (NOT the finished block at this stage) plus a short biography and a brief description of the design as soon as it is ready, within this window only. Please ensure you submit your entry in good time and preferably not on the last day. Please note that the Third Age Trust can make no allowances for any technical issues which prevent or delay submission e.g. internet problems, and you are encouraged to submit your entry in good time.
▪ You will receive information for the despatch of your physical block once the competition has closed.